Bystander Training Intervention Training for RSO Leaders
The University of Utah is committed to fostering a culture of safety, with ongoing efforts to improve infrastructure, practices, campus awareness, and response to daily incidents, as well as during crises. We want to empower the leadership of Recognized Student Organizations (RSOs) to have information about safety and well-being, including where to report concerns and what resources are available to students for a variety of issues. Robust safety and training resources can be found online at safeU.utah.edu.
Additionally, a new law requires that education focused on victim-support resources, bystander intervention, and sexual consent be provided to student organizations. As of May 14, 2019, this new law (Senate Bill 134) requires that members of RSOs be provided with annual “Campus Safety Training” in order to receive or maintain official recognition by the University.
As a RSO at the University of Utah, here is what you need to know:
- As a requirement of the law, each RSO will be annually required to have at minimum three officers or members of the leadership of the organization participate in the educational training we are offering.
- Deadline for completion for the 2020-2021 academic year will be Spring 2021.
- If an organization fails to comply with the completion of this training by this December deadline, the RSO will be in danger of losing official recognition, which includes forfeiting the benefits of being a Recognized Student Organization.
- To complete the S.B. 134 Campus Safety training in two easy steps:
- Watch the video below.
- Complete the quiz as evidence of training completion.
- While the three officers of the organization may watch the video together, each individual student must fill out the form separately to show evidence that at least three different students per organization have completed this campus safety training.
- Save your proof of completion email(s) into your organization's files to upload later
during the recognition or re-registration applicaton.
- Please note that the email may take a few minutes to send to your inbox, and it's important to double check that you entered your uMail address correctly during Quiz completion.
- If you don't see the email within an hour of completion, please check your Junk/Spam folder.
Bystander Intervention Training Video for RSO Leaders
RSO leaders interested in furthering the conversation may do so by scheduling an in-person training for their organization on the Center for Student Wellness' webpage for Workshops & Trainings. Learn more about Check on U-TAH resources here.